Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Nettles

Tarka took this photo of me collecting nettle tops for a smoothie yesterday morning.
 We blend up the nettle tops with some filtered water, then add lots of ripe bananas and the juice of an orange. 

4 comments:

  1. I mean the smoothie. I collect nettles for various uses but it never occurred to me to try adding them to smoothies! And I can't even see your wonderful baby belly in this picture and goodness you only have a short time to go now. So excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you just blitz it in a blender, does that sort the stings out? I would love to know how to grasp the nettles without getting stung, last time I tried harvesting nettles i was feeling the after effects for the rest of the day, and that was with protection!! Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, it is such a quick easy way to make something very tasty and nutritious! I also noticed that you can't see my bump in this picture but it is growing by the week, honestly!

    Claire,
    The nettles only sting if you brush the hairs the wrong way, so if you grasp the tops firmly but carefully, making sure your fingers close on the leaves with a slight upward motion, rather than brushing the tiny hairs backwards with a downwards motion (does that make sense?)you shouldn't get stung at all.

    And yes, for the smoothie I just blend them up with water to a thin green juice and then add the fruit, no stung tongues so far! (But I also sometimes eat the leaves raw, as does Mia, if you curl then up between your fingers until they are squished a little, you can eat them without getting stung too!)

    Love Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete